Forum home Fruit & veg

Mulching Raspberries

I planted 2 rows of raspberry canes last Autumn and mulched with homemade compost, they are now beginning to sprout and so are the weeds!

I want to add a weed suppressing mulch for this year, I have a load of wood chippings from a recent chainsawing session, would these be suitable as a mulch on raspberries?

Steve

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Personally I don't like wood chippings as a mulch, they can with repeated application inhibit shallow rooted plants like raspberries. But for one season they should be ok. Why don't you just hand weed instead. If the weeds are germinating in compost they should be easy to pick out.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,433

Put down a thick layer of newspapers over the soil, dampen (soak) it down, then add a thick layer of grass clippings and wood chippings mixed.  The newspaper should kill off the majority of weeds (except for bindweed, etc, which you'll have to hand weed), and the grass clippings and wood chips will compost together nicely.  Leaf mold would be fantastic too.. if you happen to have any around.  I haven't cut my grass yet, but have lots of leaves trapped around in the corners and along my raised beds.. I plan to mow and bag them up together.  Then put them directly on my raspberry/blackberry bed over newspaper.  I do this every year, and the bottom layer just composts down in situ, which feeds my plants while the new fresh layer keeps weeds at bay. 

Utah, USA.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,635

My mum always used the grass cuttings as mulch around raspberries. She picked mixing bowls full.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thanks for that guys, grass clippings are one thing we are not short of! I will give the newspaper and mowings a try.

I believe Christopher Lloyd used grass clippings as a mulch around shrubs and roses.

Steve