Forum home Problem solving

Lemon tree

My daughter and son in law bought both "mums" a lemon tree a couple of years ago.......... hers has overwintered in her living room.. warm , dark and filled with smoke.......... I gave mine a high nitrogen feed through the summer in the green house... over wintered it in a cool bedroom..................................  mine is bald save for a single fruit that  hasn't flourished... hers is going great guns !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

what  am I doing Wrong?????????????????????????????????????????

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626

They aren't the easiest of plants to keep in good condition so don't feel too bad.

Hand it over to your opposite number for a holiday?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pjbpjb Posts: 8

Thank you pansyface that's a good idea.... ... I'll put it back out in May when the liklihood of Jack Frost has gone Verdun.... by the way... does it need pruning... 

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

They will drop leaves in winter regardless, part of the regeneration process, replacing them when growth starts again. A couple of years ago I overwintered one of mine in an outdoor annex with very little light. Reappeared almost completely bald. It recovered. Light is important. This year I enclosed the covered pergola with heavy-duty plastic walls which allowed tons of light. I monitored the moisture levels, watering with tepid water a couple of times over the winter. All the citrus thrived. 

Thank you so much for your responses... I now have a purpose made fertiliser for citrus plants ... which is administered with tepid water (thank you Italophile) and have moved it to a better area in the house...(need to get greenhouse fixed as 3 polycarbonate sheets had to be rescued from next doors apple tree!!) 

Do I have to prune it at all, if so... what am I cutting off... I think I should change pjb for Novice!!!

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

It's only a couple of years old, isn't it? Shouldn't need pruning except to take out dead or ailing wood. Tepid water is better for watering over winter so as not to shock the roots too much. Otherwise water out of the tap.

• pjb I got one last spring/summer from the garden center and it was a nice plant all healthy and had fruit on it and healthy leaves. I fed it with a citrus feed and watered when needed followed online advice and within about a month or two all the leaves had dropped off and then all the fruit fell off too, very disappointing as I saw some of the fruit swell and get bigger! I had to take it back to the garden center thankfully they gave me a refund. But I might try again this year just to see if I was actually doing anything wrong or if it was the tree!! 

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

I'm not the best person to offer such advice ( my lemon tree only enjoyed a short life), but my dads is about 10 yrs old. It spends the spring/summer out on the patio and is returned to a sheltered unheated greenhouse for the autumn/winter. It is now loaded with fruit, hth

Many thanks to all of you ..some good stuff here..