Forum home Fruit & veg

Potatoes in bags

Hi all,

I had great success last year with my new potatoes in bags on the patio, this year I fancy using this space better.  Can I put my spuds in the bottom of the bag and instead filling the bag up gradually when the shoots appear, fill it completly and plant a fast growing veg in the top (like radish) ?

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi ceri la you have to do it gradually, but after you have done that you might be able to plant some radish, maybe if you start the radish in pots then plant them when the potatoes have come up and you have put the last lot of compost on.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Ceri La I grow potatoes in bags and keep adding compost to them. After harvesting I add more organic vegetable feed to the compost and sow carrots so the compost is used twice and finally it gets emptied on the flower beds.

I don't think radishes will transplant at all well.  

• Ceri LaCeri La Posts: 6

Thanks Logan and KEF

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Kef you're right after thinking about it, I've tried beetroot and they just don't grow.
  • Radish on grow-bags etc, the idea is sound but given the limited space I'm not sure it would be worth it.

This type of cultivation is known as sowing a catch crop...ie good use can be made of ground around slow maturing crops such as celery, where quick maturing stuff such as radish & lettuce can be sown and harvested before the main crop is ready.

No root crops (including radish) lend themselves to being transplanted because they are tap rooted, unlike the fibrous roots of other plants that are suitable for transplanting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_crop

• Is it to early for catch crops now?  as we have space in broadbean bed and potato bed when we plant tomorrow

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I don't know how it would work but a lady I came across in the gardening aisle in Wilkinson's kept insisting you should grow your potatoes in the bottom of a large pot and your carrots on the top.   I don't see how there would be room for both but she was quite insistent. (I'm not growing potatoes so not trying it.)

• primrosecottage wrote (see)

Is it to early for catch crops now?  as we have space in broadbean bed and potato bed when we plant tomorrow

That should work fine.....perhaps wise to wait until your main crop surfaces before you sow your catch crops. 

It would be wise to make successional sowings at say fortnightly intervals, to avoid the glut & dearth situation......sow just short manageable rows.  

• Watery wrote (see)

I don't know how it would work but a lady I came across in the gardening aisle in Wilkinson's kept insisting you should grow your potatoes in the bottom of a large pot and your carrots on the top.   I don't see how there would be room for both but she was quite insistent. (I'm not growing potatoes so not trying it.)

You don't get that kinda talk in Harrods! image

• David you are such a snobimageimageimage mind you I don't think I've heard the likes in Lidl eitherimage