frogs

On friday night we had 26 frogs on the paving in our garden not including what was in the borders the garden was alive but last night we had none at all. Where did they all go is this unusual behaviour. The garden has a 7 foot fence all round with no holes or gaps to get in or out

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,355

Unless you've got those fancy new flying frogs, I'm guessing there's at least one gap somewhere. image

Just think of all the slugs they'll eat. Lucky you.

Devon.
  • marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    Ive been working out in the garden for the past 3 weeks and never saw a single frog and now they have gone again. Can/will frogs climb over fences. Ps have you seen the bareroot hosta s in wilko
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,355

Oh marc, don't tempt me. Although the nearest Wilko is about an hour's drive from here,so I think I'm safe.

It's breeding season now , so frogs and toads are doing funny things . It's their hormones bless'em.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

Maybe they're looking for a pond that isn't there any more. 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

Their Latin name is Rana temporaria it translates to 'temporary frog' - one minute you can't move for them, the next minute they are gone. image

They have an amazing ability to group together to breed, only then to disperse widely and not be seen. 

Have you got a pond? Did they leave spawn? If not perhaps they were just passing through your garden to return to their 'home' pond to breed.

I have a pond of about 5 years. Most of the frogs looked like last years young
    No frogspawn as yet

When did you first get spawn marc and did you see any pairs or just individual frogs?

I've seen it where you get a year where only young immature males show up. They can reach maturity quicker than the females. They have a huge drive to get to the pond. If this is the case, next year they ought to be joined by the larger females.

Had frogspawn last year and the year before around this time of year. Its as though all the males turned up to no females

That is quite possible. It could be a case of immature males returning, the females will show up in following seasons when they are mature. (many of the males that show up are not really mature, they just can't help themselves!)

Males will often arrive first a few days ahead of the females too. So the females may still be on the way.

I would be interested to hear how it turns out.image