Space in veg bed

I began to look at my garden at the end of last summer and missed most of the best veg to plant out.

I built two raised beds. At the moment there are strawberries in the left hand side, and I planted some carrots earlier this week. I plan on growing tomatoes up the back.

The second bed has early potatoes in (two rows, 5 in each) at the front part.

It also has Japanese onions and white lisbon spring onion seeds in, both of which were planted mid winter last year.

These seem to take up all the space in the larger bed.

Excuse the mess!

I wonder if someone could tell me if this is about right for the amount of plants/veg to be planted in each bed. especially as there are only two rows of 5 potatoes taking up half the large bed! (I am growing tomatoes & aubergines from seed and not too sure where to put them!)

Also I am a bit worried about my winter planting, they show little to no signs of life, just a few random spring onions appearing. I don't mind if they haven't grown, learn from experience and all that. I wonder if I should leave them to hopefully grow, or dig them out and plant something else instead?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Edd

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi Edd, sounds like you've been busy. I find that potatoes always take up much more room than I think they will. Once they get going upwards and outwards I've found that they cover anything else planted in the same bed, so I give them a bed all to themselves.

you could plant your tomatoes in grow bags or pots. 

Your winter planting may just need a little more time to come to life. It's amazing what happens once there's some consecutive warm days.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,660

As you have limited space the most important thing to think about is 'what do I want to grow?'

It must be things you love to eat and it makes sense to grow things that are expensive or difficult to buy. So I grow blackcurrants because I love them and you never see them in the shops. And I grow peas because you can never get them really fresh and they cost a lot for not very many. 

The other proviso is 'will it grow well in my garden?' So for me, though I love fresh tomatoes,  they are a waste of space because I live somewhere cool, with short growing season and limited sunshine (except in very exceptional years).

With things like potatoes and onions it may be that you want to grow something special (like Pink Fir Apple) or your Japanese onions and that's fine. But if it's just ordinary potatoes, give them up and grow something more fun and interesting. The Lincolnshire growers do it well and they are cheap enough!

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I'd grow potatoes in bags then u would have room for something else,if u have a sunny part of the garden u could grow tomatoes, I've planted mine in with the flowers they do well, veg like a sunny place so they should grow.
  • eddm87eddm87 Posts: 11

Thanks for your replies.

Think I will leave the potatoes to do their thing, just a shame they are earlies, limiting my planting time on anything else when they come out!

I will leave my onions for a while then and see what happens.

I will definitely be thinking about what cool and exciting things to try and grow, as you say limited space, limited amount of growing room.

Cheers.

Edd

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,658

When your early potatoes are over it'll be the perfect time to sow Pak choi and Mizuna and those oriental-type mustard leaves. If you sow them earlier in the year they tend to bolt and run to seed, but sown later in the season they keep going much longer image

Also Swiss chard can be sown then to provide a crop into autumn - then allow it to stay in place over winter and you may well get some more pickings from it before spring gets going. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,052

Does your garden get much sun as all veg need plenty of sun to do well? For the tomatoes and aubergines you could try growbags or pots.

• eddm87eddm87 Posts: 11

Ooh, mustard leaves sound good. Any other types or hardy veg that can be sown after my earlies? I really want parsnips!

Yes, my garden does get quite a lot of sun which is good.

hmm, I didn't think about aubergines in pots. Could I get two plants in a large pot do you think?

Edd

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,658

You could sow some dwarf french beans after the potatoes - they'll crop later in the summer.

Don't think your beds are deep enough for parsnips - take a look at Rusty Spade's video http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/fruit-and-veg/harvested-this-today/588650.html

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh