Forum home Wildlife gardening

Water Features

I have a small pond which had 7 fish, a couple of Orbs, Goldfish, a ghost fish and something else.. I woke one morning and there was their hiding place ( a pot weighed down by a brick ) floating in the pond, no sign of the fish and the brick in the place of the pot so I've no ideas, an otter, seagulls, a cat, stolen, don't know but a little fed up as they were like my children. I've decided to just have a pond to attract wildlife, frogs, dragonfly and whatever else.

What I don't know though is, can I have running water?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,310

could well be an otter. I lost over 35 fish to one overnight a year back. image

Devon.
  • JimbolenaJimbolena Posts: 114
    There was not a sign around the pond of disturbance. Very upsetting so if it may be an otter then I'll leave the fish. An otter will always get them
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,856

Herons are another culprit, they leave no trace

There's both round Dumfries
  • Gutting! I had a heron empty my old pond, its of no comfort but the circle of life and all that.

Poor wee things. What a thought. I felt like I knew them too. They all had wee personalities. Lol
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,291

The trickle of water you have will be fine, but wildlife may need more plants, both in and around the pond. You may also need a shelf/sloping area (can't see one) for frogs, toads and hedgehogs to get out again.

Thanks Buttercupdays, I plan to get some miniature water lillies and there is a wee shelf right at the front of the pond, where I have a couple of pond plants, there's also some frogspawn behind those plants so looking forward to what develops there.

You're absolutely right though, need more plants, I had a water hyacinth but it didn't make it this winter, the frosts this year were quite hard. 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Frogs will prefer still water rather than running water. Most wildlife ponds will be unfiltered with no running water. The idea is they find a natural balance over time. image