Butterfly Release

I've just let the first butterfly out of the house into the sunshine. The first of many that have over-wintered in the house.

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 7,213

Aaahhh !!!!  That's lovely.  I hope he had his coat on, it's chilly out there. 

I saw one fly past me this morning about a foot off the ground, either a Peacock or R.Admiral, I couldn't see properly.  image

• AlieshAliesh Posts: 182

that's amazing how lucky you are to have them spend the winter in your house !

i had a ladybird the other day when i was spring cleaning and giving my windows a good clean, think it came out of the window vent.

• Simon KnottSimon Knott Posts: 116

My daughter reared and released butterflies a couple of years ago.  Here is a link to the video of the release.

https://youtu.be/2qegvKY4Gwg

Simon, a delightful little video.  Nice to see the children so involved too.  

How do you rear Butterfly's, I like to have a go ? 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

Really charming Simon, I did a batch of Small Tortoiseshell butterflies when I was a kid. Nettle leaf in a sweet jar. image

Iv googled it and will have a go come Summer.

I don't know if anyone remembers the Comma butterfly on my garden wall last year or the Velocity? Moth laying dozens of eggs.  Im hoping I may have a ready made supply of Butterfly's this year.  

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

I'm currently (well not today in this weather  image) letting lacewings out of the shed and have a couple hiding in the spare bedroom, and they haven't paid any board for Winter lodgings image

Runny I remember the B/fly on your wall image Not sure about moth. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115
    As an update on my released butterfly. The next day when the weather got bad, it was battering on the door to get back in!
  • Simon KnottSimon Knott Posts: 116

GemmJF thanks for your kind comments too. My daughter really enjoyed doing them.