Rhubarb

hello fellow gardeners. Today I bought myself a rhubarb plant called Champayne. I need advice on caring for it. I want to grow it in a pot is normal potting compost ok to use? Is it best to keep the pot in my unseated greenhouse or in a sunny spot on my patio? Is it right to not harvest any rhubarb sticks until next year? Also when it dies off is it like strawberry plants that come back in the spring? Finally is tomato feed ok to use? I would really appreciate your adviice I'm new and very eager to learn everything about growing fruit and veg. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

Rhubarb has big roots, like enormous parsnips. You will need a big container, especially as the root system develops quite quickly. The best rhubarb that I have seen was grown on clay so I think regular compost might be a bit light and airy for it. It also needs a period of dormancy in winter so don't keep it too hot. "The rhubarb triangle", where rhubarb was traditionally grown as forced rhubarb in sheds is in Yorkshire. The crops aren't doing so well these days as winters become warmer and the roots don't hibernate too well now. I have heard of a new "rhubarb triangle" that is beginning near Loch Ness.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,252

I grew some from seed last year. Moved it to the growing position in the autumn. It is in clay with manure mulch around the crowns. Lovely strong growth started already this year. As I understand it, best to wait until next year before harvesting so I get strong plants. 

• daydaisydaydaisy Posts: 364

I have read somewhere on this forum that the best thing you can do with rhubarb is to dig up some roots and leave them on the surface of the soil to get frosted and then plant them again at the end of the winter. I tried it with a portion of a root one year and it did seem to work.You need a bit of courage though and I didn't do it this year as I bottled out! Might try it again this autumn.

• daydaisydaydaisy Posts: 364

Well all I can say is it has worked for me! I have sandy soil and struggle sometimes to grow good stalks. The year I experimented with the root exposure I had nothing to lose as my rhubarb that year had come up like knitting needles. I promise you it did improve the next year! image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    ,Hi hyacinth bucket

I've got rhubarb in pots shop bought compost is OK, keep outside so. It can get frosted in winter, leave in pots.Need a lot of water in summer,feed in summer with a high potash feed.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I find that if I start them off in pots for a few years then plant them in the garden they do better.If the stalks are thin leave them for a few years then they will bulk up.
  • Ah thanku everyone for ur advice on my rhubarb plant. I will let u know how it all goes!!