Forum home Problem solving

More of a question than a problem

I'm told that I need to paint this bridge with some kind of preservative even though the wood was pressure treated.

Any suggestions which type and do I need to paint the underneath of the boards or will it be ok if I just paint the top and sides

• Pressure treating only really saves wood from rot if its going to be used indoors. Outside, It will eventually absorb enough water and warp rot and all the other stuff wood does.

As far as preserving it, unless you want to redo it every year, stay away from water based paints and get something oil based. Probably more environmentally damaging short term, but you wont have to do it every year. You'll likely have to do the undersides as well, as the water will run round the board surfaces. 

Take care not to spill any of it into the drainage ditch when you're doing it.

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

I can recommend wholeheartedly to NOT use ronseal one coat. It is a heap of rubbish and you'll only end up buying other stuff that will do it properly, effectively having to do it twice. I learned that the very hard way. I found Wickes own brand to be very good. Cheaper too 

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Thank you both.  I was afraid I was going to have to do the bottom - won't be easy as you can't stand upright underneath and I'll almost certainly get covered in it image  Thanks for the advice about taking care and what to use too.  I'd hate to have to do it more often than necessary.

Anyone know a very short person who doesn't slop paint everywhere when they're decorating?  image

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

The bits that will need doing the most are the contact areas with the ground. They will rot first. 

To do a good job, not much for it but to remove it, paint it and put it back in I'm afraid. At least then you can avoid contamination of the ditch too. image

• If you get a good thick oil based preservative it will at least splash around a bit less.

Thanks all.  I don't think I can take it out - it was built 'in situ' and isn't meant to be a forever structure as I'm not all sure the other side of the ditch is mine although it's my responsibility to ensure the water can run freely in the ditch I gather.  

Thanks for all your help.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

What does it it sit on DyersEnd and how is it secured? It can be done sometimes by putting a car jack under one end at a time and lifting it that way. If it is on concrete either end, not so much of a worry with rotting. If there is soil contact, not much point painting the rest of it as it will outlast the contact areas by years.

Not sure what it sits on to be honest - I'll have to check with Dan, my mate who built it for me.  I don't think it's concrete though, possibly it's screwed to some kind of wooden blocks.  If so, perhaps they were treated.  I'll check.  

I think I'll probably paint the bridge itself so at least that doesn't rot, I don't want to fall through it one day and if Dan says it would be easy to tip it on it's side perhaps I'll try that.  I'm on my own here but I could get some of the rest of the family to come and give me a hand I expect.