Forum home Talkback

gardener

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I obviously like to do most jobs in our garden myself, but I need a bit more stone laying to make a slightly bigger paved area, and I'd like someone to put up an arch securely and get our awful lawn back into shape, when we first moved here 2 years ago the garden was all paved, so I had a few gardeners come to give me a quote, 1 was astronomical, 2 never bothered gettin back, 1 gave a good quote and di the job well, I phoned him, he came and looked...4 weeks ago, I called him after 2 weeks, he said he'd work on the quote that evening and get back to me...2 weeks and 2 left messages later I am being ignored, am upset and annoyed, we want the garden to look nice for our little girl's 4th birthday party, is there anyone who has any idea how to get a good reasonable reliable gardener? wish I could just do it all myself, I'm lucky to get 20 minutes to do anything at the moment

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,217

ask friends / family  if they can recommended a gardener. word of mouth is usually the best for getting the best people to do the job.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

have tried perki, people are always asking me! may have to knock on neighbours doors at this rate!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,480

Contact your local college that has horticultural-type courses and ask for recommendations of past students who have set up their own businesses image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

dove that's a great idea thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,550

Or you could ask these people if they know how to find someone

http://www.fobssheffield.co.uk/FOBSVolunteers.html

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Ask at your local garden centre, they usually have cards from people. But this is the time of year when anybody good is booked up. Is there a noticeboard in the supermarket?

If people don't get back to you it usually means they can't do it, but don't like to say so. Ditto people who give sky-high quotes.

Look in the newsagent's, there are usually cards there. Put up your own card, requesting someone.
  • Dove's idea of local horticultural college is a good one, you might like to suggest to them to use it as a practical lesson for current students and offer maybe to make a contribution to college funds??

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
  • AWBAWB Posts: 421

What is a reasonable hourly rate, for say 4 hours a week, 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,428

if you're in Devon, you can get a gardener for £7 an hour, if you're in Surrey, you're unlikely to get one under £20 an hour.

Devon.
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Mummy you're in / near Sheffield aren't you? If so try calling Taylor Made Gardens. We used them for some near industrial garden clearing at the museum (National Emergenc Services) last year after getting many many quotes and they were genuinely polite chaps: came out and quoted, took the time to explain all our options, and the lads he had with him really worked their guts off! I'd be more than happy to use him in my garden if I needed help and could afford it.

http://m.taylor-made-gardens.co.uk/

Hope that helps!