Forum home Garden design

Narrow Border - Help please?

Hello, I am a novice when it comes to gardening and really need some much needed advice if possible. I have a very narrow border around the perimeter of my garden, it's approximately a foot wide possibly not even that. I made the mistake of planting a few things last year that looked okay to begin with but have had to take them out this year as they just looked too big. I planted a couple of Azaleas, Rhododenronsand then a few smaller flowers in between to break it up a bit. I bought the plants on recommendation from an assistant at a garden centre but I don't think he realised quite how small my border was. Other than a Salix Flamingo that it is in the centre that's all u have in the border at the moment so I have a blank canvas essentially. I'm thinking of putting up some Trellis on my fence which back onto the border and running some sweetness along there but not sure if this will all work. As you can tell I'm very much new to this gardening lark but very much want to get into to it and to have a garden I can admire! I'm happy to send photos if that would help and thanks to anyone that wishes to offer some advise! Thank you!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Hi Paulie

Yes, send photos. image

• PaulieMacPaulieMac Posts: 12

Sorry, took me a while to figure how to upload a photo!  Hope this helps and thank you.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,565

Ooh! Lovely, thats what we call a blank canvas, is there a chance you would be allowed to dig another foot out. 2ft would make a lovely border?

You have lovely fences making it good and private, you're off to a good start. Some sweet peas would be lovely if you could tack some bean support mesh to the fence.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

and think of all the lovely things that would go in if it were 3 foot wide image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,565

Or even..... no musnt get silly!!!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Remove the lawn Lyn?image

Thanks you both for your comments, really appreciate your feedback.  Youre probably right, the border is too narrow to do anything with really.  My only issue is that I want to  preserve as much of the lawn as i can as I have a 3 year old boy that loves playing out in the garden.  I suppose I could create a larger border to the opposite end of the corner border that we have plants in a the moment and then re turf along the sides?  Do you think that would work?  My concern with having a 3 foot border all around would be that I wouldnt have much lawn left.  ;-)

I'll mark out what it will look like if i create a 3ft border all around, thiking about it, it probably is the best option and that way I will still have some grass too.  I agree the border that we have at the moment looks a bit odd, very skinny...image   Would you have any suggestions on what to plant in a 3ft border, not too expensive if possible!  Thanks again all image