Forum home Talkback

welsh gardener

Any one grown tomato seeds before? First time but they seem to be taking ages to sprout. Said feb on packet and I still haven't seen anything. I planted a few packs as well..any ideas?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I think most of us have sown tomato seeds. Do you have more information for us?

When exactly did you sow them? Where have you sown them? In what compost? Was the compost too wet, or too dry? Saved seed or bought seed? Temperature? What company's seed? What varieties? Old seed, new seed? Pots or seed trays? Have the seeds rotted?

There are so many variables.
  • john innes, moenymakers, in the greenhouse, bought seed, seed modules. They have been in a few weeks. Shall I do another batch? 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,523

Unless you have a very warm heated greenhouse they wont germinate at the temps we have been having. I havent even put my grown seedlings out there yet.

There's plenty of time to sow some more, put them in your kitchen, or bedroom where there is a little warmth, they will be up in a week.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Yes, put them somewhere warmer, as Lyn suggests. Perhaps in a propagator if you have one. They must be protected from very low temperatures or they will rot.

There is plenty of time for more seeds. Why not try some small tomatoes, they have good flavour.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,523

Instead of buying seeds you can choose one from the supermarket, wash the seeds and plant straight away.

I did this last year with a gorgous little cherry tomato, all came true from seeds.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.