Unwanted pond!

We have moved to a house that has a mature garden with a brick built pond at the bottom. Due to two reasons (the first being that we have young children and don't want open water, the second being that I detest frogs) we want to get rid of the pond. I would like some advice please on how and when to do this. It is currently full of very murky water with some pond plants, there are a couple of live frogs in it and some frog spawn. We were thinking of turning it into a raised bed. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,698

No problem in getting rid of it, just bash a few holes in the bottom. But your froggies will be back each spring - like salmon, they return to their place of birth to mate.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,981

I'd fence it off till the kids are older, it will be a good educational opportunity for them.

A chance for you to overcome your fears as well.image Fears can be overcome.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,845

My daughters garden is full of frogs, never had a pond!

She finds the spawn all over the place and puts it in the babies sand pit. Well, she cant leave it in the outside loo!!!!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,493

You can grill across the pond: about an inch underneath the water. It looks good and is safe for young kids. As per above, I have lots of frogs and no pond.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

Frogs are great for keeping slugs down in a garden. I was going to suggest a grid also but blairs beat me to it. I think they are the best solution for safety with kids.

• Well, thanks up for your responses so far, I can see there are a lot of frog fans out there! Anyway, if I did still want to turn the pond into a raised bed, what should I do with the current wildlife in there? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,698

Turf it out and watch it die.............?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,778

You can't put it in another pond without permision as you may spread disease, so not sure what you can do really.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,493

Cutting off the ponds water supply would be the first step. If it has a lining then removing that or at least puncturing it would be the second step. Adding more compost would gradually build it up and the wildlife in their would start to leave quite quickly. You can leave the lining if you want a bog style garden of course.

End of the day it is your garden and therefore has to suit you...the wildlife found the pond they will find another.

• Pinkpepper,

I would ask you to please re-think your plan. Frogs - which are part of the web of wildlife in our country - are threatened by loss of habitat everywhere, and it's a shame that an established habitat, however it originated, should join the long list of sites which are destroyed on a whim. Just think that maybe your children will like frogs - most kids do - and maybe if you join in with them at a frog-related event at your local wildlife centre (wildlife trust, RSPB, ranger service, etc) you may gradually lose your detestation.

The benefits of frogs in gardens have been mentioned above. As to the safety aspects, I have installed grids on ponds and they work well. You may need to do a little cleaning and landscaping of your pond - you make it sound like a brick tank, but I'm sure it's better than that.

Give froggies a chance!