Forum home Talkback

Hydrangea

I received this lovely hydrangea for Mother's day and was wondering when it would be safe to plant it out as it is already in bloom?

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p677/LuluTheLurcher/004_zpsfjiugoeo.jpg

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,825

I received one of a smilar size last year.  I waited until the flowers had died off and then planted it in the garden not really expecting it to grow. However, it got a new lease of life and this year is looking really good with lots of new buds and growth.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,207

What a very pretty colour Luluimage

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,207

Mine all end up purpleimage.  But I have one pretty pink one which is staying right in its pot of mpcimage

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    It'll do fine outside once the weather has warmed up a bit. Its been cossetted and fussed over to get it to the stage of flowering in time for Mother's Day and it would be a pity to scare it to death by putting it outside when there is still a risk of wintery weather. You're so lucky to get such a beautiful gift. Unlike a bouquet, it should give you a lot of pleasure for a quite along time.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,564

Ceres is right, these plants shouldnt be in flower till very late summer, so these have been forced in very hothouses. I wouldnt put yours out until the end of May.

If you want to keep it variagated pink, check your soil to make sure its alkaline, if its a little bit acid it will turn purple, if its a lot acid it will be blue, (which are my favs) if not, you can keep it in a tub.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.