Ideas for metal trough

I've just been given a metal trough and wanted opinion on what is best to do with it. I can either turn it into a mini pond (do I line it?), turn it into a bog garden or put holes in the bottom and turn it into a planter I have a few options on where I can position it, it's also starting to rust in places.

• SarSpudSarSpud Posts: 46

Here is a photo...

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,770
    Unfortunately my computer won't let me see your photo but the mention of rust leaves me thinking that a pond might not be a good idea because the fabric of the trough is already breaking down. Troughs look great as planters and have the advantage that you can ring the changes with the seasons to give you a constantly changing garden focal point.
  • TesniTesni Posts: 155

That would look great with flowers in it.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

I would definitely fill that up with soil and use it as a planter. image There are lots of better alternatives for a mini-pond that come to mind that won't rust or potentially leak iron oxide into the water that can affect pH levels.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

You could paint it to make it last a bit longer. Hammerite will at least slow the rust, dry it out, apply some paint and it will look great. The problem will be the bottom standing in the damp, so if you raise it up on a couple of bricks it will make it last a lot longer. image

• SarSpudSarSpud Posts: 46

Thanks everyone, I think you're right about turning it into a planter. I'm now debating between strawberries (my garden has lots of slugs so this could be a haven with some copper tape around it) or alpines - I currently have none.

Verdun, can you suggest some alpines? Otherwise the strawberries will win image

• ClaireAClaireA Posts: 81

Ooh definately alpines would look stunning! Some of my favourites are sempervivums, hepaticas, sedum, pulsatilla, saxifrage, sisyrinchium, cymbalaria (thou can self-seed a lot!!) but there are sooo many bound to be some that suit your taste!! Have fun!!