Forum home Wildlife gardening

Frogs embracing but no spawn

Hi all About a week ago we had two sets of frogs embracing. I monitored them for three days and no spawns. One set of frogs disappeared for two days this week but are back again. The others left completely. The female appears to be ok. The females bigger than the male through. In all they have probably been in the position in the pond for 6 days an whatever they have been together out of the pond. Would anyone have any suggestions . Should I separate them?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,191

Let them work out their arrangments themselves. They have been doing OK for millions of years. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

You wold be lucky to separate them and please don't try! The males have a reflex to grip harder if you try to remove them. It has evolved to stop other males dislodging them from the female.

Females are much bigger than the males, they have to develop a huge blob of spawn inside them over the winter. image

Keep a look at, when the spawn is first laid it sinks to the bottom, it can take a day or so to resurface. They may have 'stopped' the mating process with a drop in temperature too and just be waiting for a warmer evening.

Otherwise do you have fish or newts that may be eating the spawn before you see it?

• Hi there.

I have seen two newts in the pond a few weeks ago. One was dehydrated on the path an nearly dead but I took him back to the pond and he seemed to be ok. Before that I had never seen a newt in the pond or the garden really so don't think it's a newt problem.

It has been very cold the past few days at night so I will keep an eye out for them in the warmer nights. The area they are mating isn't very deep and is planted so it may be that the spawn is sunk or hidden for now.