Forum home Talkback

Early summer

Spotted first bumblebee in my garden on Tuesday 10th March. Never seen one this early before and I'm in N. Ireland and it's still fairly chilly here even though we're getting some nice sunny days. Anyone else spotted bumblebees.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,547

Yes, we had a Buff-tailed bumble sunbathing on the fence on Sunday - after warming up it helped itself to nectar from the pot of crocuses on the terrace - I've seen a few flying abut since image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

Loads of them on the Lonicera purpussii yesterday. None today as it's 3°C and raining.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

We've had them here in Essex over the past few days. Though I would say it is a lovely spring, not quite summer yet, still some cold winds and nights image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,083

Saw my first one yesterday whilst in the barn inspecting the pots we've sheltered there for the winter.   I trust it flew outside to gorge on the primulas, crocuses and snowdrops in flower now.  

Had our first houseflies of the year too which is not so welcome.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SFordSFord Posts: 224

Huge bumble spotted whilst walking the dog on 7th March in Cornwall!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,607

Haven't seen any bees. Last night was 2c and today was even colder, forecast said feels like - 2c.

Definitely not early summer here, still in mid winter.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

We've seen tree bumble bees, buff tailed  and a tiny bee that I wouldn't have recognized as a bee if I hadn't had an expert with me.

and maybe a couple of  honey bees on Ribes lauriflium but the expert wasn't with me then.

Also red admiral, brimstone and comma butterflies.

• graham10graham10 Posts: 86

Yes large bumble bee in my senetti yesterday great to be back pottering again