Forum home Talkback

Tools

CLERCLER Posts: 56

Well It is almost time to start getting all my lovely garden tools out of hibernation ...can't wait.  It got me thinking....what would be the tool you would not be without for your gardening, have you ever made something that you find useful? Have you a handed down tool you would hate to lose or break ?

love to read your replies

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,155

I bought a hoe head like this and put a short handle on it. I like to weed kneeling on a mat and I've found it very useful, cutting through the surface of the soil it loosens the soil and digs up weed seedlings. I'm not very good at using a hoe standing up as it gives me back ache and I tend to hoe up the plants as well as the weeds!

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    I bought an azada to use on my allotment and it is brilliant. No need for a spade or a hoe and it can cut through the stems of big weeds and long grass without any problems.
  • GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

The one I have used over and over for 20 or so years is the original and best Garden Claw.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Garden-Claw-Cultivator-Brand/dp/B0012ZGGOG.   The key thing is the angled tines and the angled handles. You'll see lots of similar ones that are straight and not nearly as good. If you want to dig over a bed prior to planting, loosen up a weedy patch to clean it all up, avoid digging and the bad back that goes with it, dig a 6" round hole to pop in that plant you couldn't resist at the garden centre even though you don't really have space, then this is your man. It won't disturb neighbouring plants and gets through my compacted clay with a simple twist.  I am a bit of a garden claw evangelist, but it really is the one tool that I use every week.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,331

I was given a potato fork in 1987 by a 70 year old gardener who was retiring. He said he'd had it over 50 years and I'd be devastated if I lost it.

Devon.

tee hee Gillian. You've obviously caused a rush. Amazon are out of stock!!

I remember using one of those at a client's garden under an oak tree, thinking " no chance" but it worked well.

Devon.
  • GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

Hostafan: For me, it's one of the Seven Wonders of the Gardening World. I also bought the hand-sized version thinking it'd be good for popping little plants in.  No good at all unfortunately - it's at the bottom of my shed unused and unloved.  

I think I'm going to have to hunt one down. I'm sure it'd work a treat on our heavy clay . Last garden was , literally, 12" of builders' sand so didn't need one there.

Devon.

I bought a garden claw some years ago on a friend's advice, but can't get on with it at all on my clay. Now my clay is better after lots of manure so perhaps I should give it another go. But my garden is so big and it's so small, makes me feel like an ant! For the veggie garden the rotovator is so much more efficient.

Dordogne and Norfolk

BL, I was thinking it'd be good to work compost between plants? 

Devon.

I could give it a go, thanks.

Dordogne and Norfolk