Help with planting out my little lilies

4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I bought these from the local market stall and would like to plant them out in the garden for years of enjoyment.  Should I plant them fully into their new home or should they be planted with part of the bulb showing?  I am confused as you see these in grass sometimes.

Many thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,408

Twice the depth of bulb Panda

They're Irises

image Verdun

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

imageGod I feel an idiot! image They are indeed irises image 

And to think, last year I thought I was getting good at identifying plants image image

Thanks Nut image So, if I plant them out from the pot I should keep them level with the soil, but if they were just bulbs then they should be twice the depth?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 15,254

I've never had much joy having them in successive years, so I'd just enjoy them as they are .

Maybe someone can tell me where I've gone wrong with these reticulata  and danfordiae types.

Devon.

It won't be me Hostafan, I have lots of leaves and the odd flower.

I noticed at a NT property I visited last week that where, a few years ago, there were lots, now there aren't

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Mine also disappear, which begs the question - how come there are new bulbs for us to buy every year?   Who works the magic?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 15,254

whew, I thought it was just me being an eejit.

Devon.
  • 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Eek, mice!  Hope they won't have their wicked way with my bulbs image Guess I'll just plant and see image

thanks all image