Forum home Talkback

Sweet William

I Planted some sweet william last year they have grown quite well but there full of holes in the leaves and when can i split them to make more plants hope you have some advice i can follow thanks 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,514

They get plagued with tiny shiny green leaf beetles, they make the holes. you may see them and kill them, but they dont last long and the new leaves in the Spring will come out ok, if you can put up with it for now. You cant split them. each is one plant, nothing to split. 

Garden pests are a way of life, if you are willing to share with them, they will go away, probably only to be replaced by another pest!!!

Thats gardening for you.  xx

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks very much your info i'm not a bad gardener but i have never grown these before do they like shade or full sun ?.

• I have always liked Sweet Williams not sure if my soil agrees with them i had some before but they died

• Anyone out there who as a Cat problem im plagued with them Messing on my Garden first there were one and word must have got round my soil is good there are five now and they set off my sensor light at night and wake me up its a terrible mess  any idea's friends