Forum home Plants

Holly ID please

Kev121Kev121 Posts: 66

Hi

just bought a verigated ilex aqufolium with burgundy stems and cream edged leaves not white/silver but the shrub was unnamed. Would anybody have any idea what type it could be ?

cheers kevin.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444

I think 'Golden van Tol' has burgundy stems, but it might not be the only one.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,506

My guess would be Handsworth New Silver, but have a look here and see what you think http://www.welsh-holly.co.uk/hollies.htm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It's one of my favourites image  Looking forward to the picture Verdun.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Kev121Kev121 Posts: 66

Thanks for the replies, had a look at the link dove sent and I don't think it's a hands worth new silver as the edge of that leaf is white/silver not cream.

i will check out golden van tol.

• Kev121Kev121 Posts: 66

Hi verdum

i agree handsworth has a white edge but the holly I have does not it has a cream edging. 

Cheers kev.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444

Or how about Ilex altaclarensis 'Golden King'?  I guess the purpleness of the stems may depend on the amount of light they get.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

I find that Golden King is much more yellow than the OP's holly. 

I still think that his looks like Handsworth Silver and that the creamy colour of the edging will fade to a whiter shade as the leaves age.