Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

front borders

Hi, my front borders always look messy so thought I would put down some blue/purple slate to stop the weeds.

We have already cut down the trees and now the daffs are up I thought it would be a good time to put down the slate. 

As I want the bulbs to come up again next year I thought it is probably best not to put down a weed surppressant fabric and just put the slate down on the soil - thought this way I could also maybe plant marrigolds during the summer.

I am going about this the right way?

Also have some nerine bulbs - will they be ok planted under the slate?

Last question anyone any idea what the flowers are in pic 2? - the big green bunches

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hello lorr image

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think slate would be a bad idea - without a membrane the slate will get incorporated in the soil and it will be a mess - weeds will come up through the slate and pulling them out will pull soil up to the surface. 

I think you'll be better with a bark mulch which will break down slowly into the soil - it'll need topping up from time to time but will be more practical and cheaper image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

The big green bunches of leaves might be bluebells - you'll have to wait and see image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

Bluebells and if you think there are too many clumps, dig them up now while you can see where they are.

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

They look like gone-over snowdrops to me.

• lorr 1500lorr 1500 Posts: 69
    Thanks for your replies already done the woodchip - looked fine to start with (used a fabric membrane but the weeds just grew on top.

Was hoping to have a more permanent solution. But still want to have the bulbs able to grow.

Suppose I will just have to use a membrane again - if I do it now at least I can see where the daffodils are
    lorr 1500 wrote (see)
    ...  Was hoping to have a more permanent solution. ....

Don't think 'permanent solution' and 'gardening' go together image

And weed seeds will blow in and grow in the gravel/slate as well - you have to weed them out.

• lorr 1500lorr 1500 Posts: 69

just seem to spend hours weeding - maybe low ground level flowering evergreen plants would be better - any suggestions welcome

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That's gardening lorrimage

Hours weeding

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • There are so many plants out there that will do the trick in time but you need to choose with regard width of boarder etc. even then you will still get the odd weed. image

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
  • ClaireAClaireA Posts: 81

I have a strip like that, half a metre wide and about 40m long, running down the lane at the front of our house;  bulbs in spring- so dense it is tricky to weed, eventually I've gone with the 'kill the weeds with a ridiculous number of plants' look- it still annoys me but it looks much better!