Talkback: Gooseberry bushes

I love gooseberries!!I bought two gooseberry bushes earlier this year and put them in pots. One is supposed to have red fruits the other green. They have grown and they look lovely and healthy but there are no signs of fruit....HELP!What should I do ditch them and start again or hope they fruit next year??

• I have been given a pot grown Gooseberry of about 4ft I do not know the variety, It looks as if it needs attention so pruning is a decision, Would you wait and see or prune, if the latter which is the right way. thank you for any help...
  • I grow gooseberries as standards with an open framework to increase air flow but it also enables me to pick from underneath and reduce damaging my hands. I use prunings to protect bare soil from cats. I usually puree the fruit as my family are fussy about pips and the puree is great mixed with most other fruits.
  • We grow Invicta which has thorns but my husband loves the flavour of the fruit as he usually eats them raw. We have a system to pick the fruit. I usually get my husband to pull back the branches of the plant while I pick the fruit, at least then I have a chance to get the fruit to the freezer/pot before he eats them all.
  • I love green gooseberry jam, the berries picked when the fruit is fully grown but not fully ripe. We have moved house and I want to plant two or three bushes here but I never knew the name of the variety in my last garden. Can anyone please tell me best variety to use? We live in the north east, near the sea and have heavy clay soil
  • Can you please tell me how far apart to plant the small blackberry variety Loch Tay?
  • Pax is another thornless variety.
  • Gooseberries...Last year (2007) was an exceptional year for most soft fruits producing an abundance of crop. I have eight Gooseberry bushes on my allotment of assorted varieties, but one variety called Invicta won me First prize at local garden shows, along with Firsts for Strawberry and Raspberry jams. Gooseberries do not require much work once planted, though they need to be mulched and kept weed free, and a light pruning in the centre to allow light to filter in. But even as an experienced gardener I was really surprised at the abundance of Blackberries. I had bought two plants (domestic thornless variety) and planted them in February, 2007, that same year we had an early summer and was picking extremely huge delicious blackberries by end of July.
  • I'm new to having an allotment but have planted three gooseberry bushes which until recently seemed to be doing very well. All have started to bare fruit but on on of the bushes the fruit is covered with some sort of white mildew. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do?
  • I planted a gooseberry bushes in March this year and now got some berries on but how do I know when they are ready to pick? Can anybody help?
  • Question! I have had my allotment for just 18 months. I'm over the moon and growing successfully, but have a couple of questions. I planted my fruit bushes last year and it looks like I'm going to get a decent crop this year.Can I take cuttings to propagate new plants?If so, when is the best time? Other tips most welcome.Alex