mystery plant

BL4Z3BL4Z3 Posts: 2

ok so i bought a grow your own venus fly trap kit but this is what grew it is definatley not a fly trap now it is driving me crazy that i dont know what i am growing, any idead what it could be ?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

You are right on what it isn't

Looks a bit like buddleia leaves to me-but purely a guess

Do the leaves have any fragrance if you rub them?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,045

The manner of growth suggests an annual to me. Not one I know though

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,340

Looks a bit like the dreaded Himalayan Balsam to me image

http://www.bishopthorpe.net/mt/nature_notes/images/Himalayan-Balsam.jpg 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It does a bit but the one on the left looks as if it's got a furry stem which I don't think the balsam has. Those white ribs are quite distinctive aren't they. 

Impatiens?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

they do have that white midrib don't they.What about that furry looking stem, do they have that? or am I imagining that? 

It's a while since I've seen one up close image

Just did a search and it looks as though all the side veins on impatiens come off the midr vein. These here seem to have 3 coming up from the base. More research will follow

Sorry. Failure of my ID skills on this one. Have to grow it on and see what happens

• BL4Z3BL4Z3 Posts: 2

the leaves and stem are slightly fuzzy in texture, the leaves do not have a scent that i can detect and stem has weird ridged sections about 3 at the moment you can just see it a bit in the picture