Forum home Fruit & veg

When is the best time to sow strawberries in the UK?

I've never grown them...

So just some advice of the best time to get the little guys growing!

I am starting them indoors on the window sill until they germinate... (I'm hoping thats the best way to give them some life before I transfer them to my raised beds outside)

• TesniTesni Posts: 158

I am doing the same - starting them indoors. Never grown them before. It's exciting isn't it! 

Sowed them last weekend, but nothing has happened to them so far.

• definitely! I am thinking of sowing some blue strawberries too, just to feel a bit quirky 

• TesniTesni Posts: 158

Are the blue ones genuine? I've seen them on an auction site, but presumed they were fake in some way (along with the multi-coloured roses).

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I don't believe the blue strawberries are real. Has anyone seen any growing? 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Well, white strawberries are not unusual.

Remember that strawberry seeds should be sown on the surface of the soil.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,264
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

The white strawberries, I grew a few years were also pineberries not sure if you can get red pineberries.

They did have a slight taste of pineapple, the problem I found the first year was knowing when they were ripe to pick. They go seedy if left on the plant too long and they are alpine strawberries which self seed so if you don't want hundreds of them growing, the fruit needs to be picked. 

I wasn't over keen on the taste and the fruit is small so don't grow them now.   

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I'll believe in the coloured ones when I see them growingimage

I can do photoshop as wellimage

• lol I was tempted to buy some of those clearly photoshopped seeds from China you see on ebay for a quid or two just to see what grows.

That said I've seen black strawberries before, but the bright blue ones...nah lol.