Forum home Tools and techniques

Alternative to petrol for lawn mower

The mower shop is trying to get me to use Aspen, an expensive alternative to petrol, in my mower.  They say it burns much cleaner, lasts longer, preserves the engine, starts easier, saves on servicing, and is more than worth the extra money (about £5 /litre). Has anyone used this? Does it really make a difference?

My Viking mower (Briggs & Stratton engine) 'hunts', I'm told it's because of dirty fuel.  Although I've been filtering the petrol since the last carb clean, it's happening again, and I'm wondering if using Aspen would help.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks,

Alex

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,811

I've not used it, but I've never had any trouble with using normal petrol in my mower.  Could you just use a fuel additive to normal petrol to help keep the engine 'clean'?  I've used STP brand, which you can just pick up at Halfords, for an old car that ran much better after using 'treatments' every few fill ups.  Also, are you storing the mower properly over the winter?  There is an additive (which I can't remember at the moment) to run through your last tank of gas prior to parking it up for the winter.  It keeps your gas from going sour in the tank and lines, and can be added to any petrol you have left in the can to keep that good too.  I think maybe it just keeps the water from separating out?  Not sure exactly.  

Utah, USA.