Forum home Problem solving

Sedges grown into side of preformed pond

Has anyone got any suggestions how I can get rid of  Sedges  similar to Flag Iris which have grown into the side of my preformed pond which I  bought as  an advertised wildlife pond?I don't really want to take the pond out but would like to put a layer of sand where the Sedges are growing,I have tried to use a knife to get rid of the sedges but don't want to damage the preformed liner any ideas?any help will be much appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,295

Hello Peter image

What happens if you just pull and uproot them?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hello Peter - I think you could have a tussle on with sedges.  In my pond they deep rooted and were hard to get out, and then self-seeded all over the garden.  My advice would be to start as soon as you see them - pull them out, cut through the roots if that's not feasible and then watch out for any bits that start up again....good luck, and don't forget to make sure you have an escape route for any hedgehogs that fall into the pond.

• MozMoz Posts: 6
    Moira - Like Peter I have a stream running along my garden  & I have sedges. 
    I have cut off the ferns will this stop the sedges self seeding.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,030
    This is a very old thread, but yes - if you cut the flowering heads off the sedges [I assume that's what you mean by ferns?] it will stop them seeding around.
    Some sedges are quite invasive - is it Carex pendula you have?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....