Why were my cornflowers poor last year

cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 389

Last year my cornflowers were very staggly, didnt flower very well. Compaired to the year before they were terrible. I started them off indoors and then straight into a unheated greenhouse the first time i grew them and got good plants. The last time i simply sowed them into the ground. Would this be the cause? Should i try to sow them in pots again.

Thanks for any help

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,492
    The reasons for failure could be many and varied.....temperature of the soil, the weather, the seeds. Its impossible to know for sure why your cornflowers were disappointing. If indoor sowing has worked well before then try it again because you have a lot more control over the growing conditions.
  • ElviraElvira Posts: 17

Cornflowers self seed here(s.wales) I just have to thin them out . A good feed is essential for most plants its a bit like feeding babies,but at least they don't turn orange

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

I get a lot more success with native flowers nurturing them as I would any other. Some people seem to be able to throw in some native seeds and they thrive, all I get is very weak looking plants and a ton of weeds. I'm going to sow for the propagator this year, pot on and feed, prep the soil then plant out. Been too many disappointments waiting for a lovely display that never materialises with direct sowing. Strangely most of my veg does fine sown direct though.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 389

Thanks for the advice i may definitely try to feed them this year as the first year i planted them i had thrown compost and manure in the soil. I have found it difficult to properly mulch the soil since due to all the surrounding plants. I thought cornflowers liked poor soil so didnt think it would be an issue