Forum home Plants

Recommendations for direct sown annuals

What annuals can be recommended for direct sowing? I've got a lot of new planting areas this year and while I'm hoping to get a lot of those filled, I may need to save money with directly sown annuals in amongst the shrubs in the border.

Into the garden will be Acers, Phormiums, Choisya, Asters, several grasses, ferns, Fatsia, Osteospermums & Heuchera to name a few and to give an idea of the planting style I'm looking to adopt. One of the borders is in full sun whilst the other is east facing.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

As my wife had a baby last year I lost most of my space for growing plants indoors so i sowed lots of hardy annuals directly. I tend not have a lot of ferns or grasses and grow sweet peas Lupins delphiniums snap dragon etc. I found candytuft, godetia, Californian poppy and alyssum and nasturtium all did really well from a direct sowing. The main problem is keeping things such as slugs and aphids off them. My alyssum was still flowing in November. I also grew dwarf sweet pea cupid but i find they require too much deadheading to keep going.

• CharlieBotCharlieBot Posts: 208
    I direct sowed cornflowers, godetia and Californian poppy here. What about cosmos too?
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,443

Echium "Blue Bedder" did really well, lovely blue. Calendulas, Nigella (Love in a Mist), Eschscholzia californica and nasturtiums are easy.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

I have just had a new border prepped this year, specifically for sowing annuals.  I love growing annuals - to me, they're the most exciting plants to grow as you see their full glory in a season.  I'm growing some tried and tested favourites - black cornflower, lavatera, campanula, tagetes (tender), eschscholzia, godetia, limanthes, larkspur, sweet peas, dwarf sunflower, nigella plus some that I've not grown from seed before - antirrhinum, gomphrena, zinnia, dianthes deltoides, cosmos, coleus black dragon (tender) plus a few others.  All of the ones that I've grown before are easy peasy and will give you an annual border just bursting with colour all summer long.

• Thanks for all the replies, I'll look through all those and I'm sure I'll find something that ties in with the colours and type of planting scheme