Forum home Talkback

seeds, what now?

I have seeds that have germinated, both Stocks and aquiligia but don't know what to do next! They are in a room indoors at present but I am sure must go out, but how? I do not have a greenhouse (yet) but am working on it. I do have east facing window in shed with reasonalbe light and a south facing one that has some light but not too much, in another shed (mostly falling down). But need help-so excited at seeing them come up but afraid I may loose them if I get it wrong.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,556

Aquilegia are hardy and never need to be indoors but may need hardening off now they have been. Out in the day and in an unheated shed at night for a week or so then outside would do fine.

I'm getting germinations now, exciting isn't itimage

• very, never had the room nor inclination before! Think the seeds have replaced my travelling children...sad but true....

• What about the stocks? Any ideas folks-same as aquiligia?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,556

Sorry Lotty, I haven't grown stocks.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

Stocks are not as hardy as aquilegia. I did have mine in a cold frame last year from mid march but I dont think we had a really hard frost after that date. I stuck a few in my cold frame 2 weeks ago to see if they would survive and they are still alive. I do only live 2 miles from the coast so my night time temps dont go really low like they do inland. I would keep them on the windowsill for a while yet.

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,214

what variety of stocks have you grown?  It will probably be to cold for stocks in the shed unless its heated in my opinion, I pot mine up into individual cell trays and keep them in the house until its warmed up enough to move them into the cold greenhouse. they can go in the shed but they will need bring inside in the evening. 

You can sow some more stocks in about 4 weeks time to keep flowers though most of the season. 

• GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

It's a slippery slope, Potty Lotty.  You start with a few seeds and then end up like me with 14 seeds trays spread out in my back room basking in the light of the french windows.  I can't get to the sofa in there at the moment and the cats have been banished for a few weeks.  I do have a greenhouse, so I'm starting to move the hardier things out there now.  If you've no greenhouse, then some sort of covered coldframe close to the house wall for warmth is an option.  I started with the plastic ones from Poundstretcher for about £10, but do weight them down and tie the cover to the frame as they tend to blow away if you don't.