Growing onions with Simon

I hope you like my short video series about how to grow onions. Here is the url

http://youtu.be/7ubz0n1p0Xk

• Simon KnottSimon Knott Posts: 115

is anyone else growing the kelsae onion this year? I would welcome any tips you have on growing it from seed.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,052

Another great video Simon, I have grown onions from seed Bedfordshire champion and also from sets Sturon and Red Baron, I found that the seed sow onion were much better than the sets as they had less instances of mildew and didn't bolt so readily. Last summer in the midlands wasn't great for onions as although it was very hot and dry which lead to bolting we then had a couple of periods of wet humid conditions which seemed to come at just the wrong time for the onions when they really needed to mature in dry weather. I planted two rows of overwintering onions last autumn and as I had some leftover I potted them up as you have shown just in case I had any failures of the ground planted ones. Both the ones planted out in the ground grew well and I have just planted the 18 pot planted ones into the ground together with the two rows planted in September.

I have bought sets for this year Sturon again and Stuttgart Giant which I will be planting into the plot in the next couple of weeks.

Regards barry.

Thanks Barry for your comments and I am glad that you liked the video. I will upload more videos over the growing season to show the progress and next steps. One thing I am going to try this year is growing some of the onions in very large pots, which will be on my automated watering system (makes it easy!). As you say to much heat and dryness can cause them to bolt - not generally too much of a problem here in NE Scotland!! Good luck with yours (2 good varieties) and I will be pleased to read comments about your progress throughout the year too.

My kelsae onion seeds are well up now in the propagator. About 2cm. A nice surprise this morning. I will have to pot them on in a week or two.

I seem to have onions coming out of my ears, (I will have to get the cotton buds out!)

No seriously, I planted 40 overwintering onions last autumn as I have never tried them before, I had some sets left over so I potted them up to replace any that failed in the ground. All the overwintering onions came through so I planted the extra 16 that were grown in pots. After I had sown the overwintering sets I read that they don't store very well so I bought some spring planted onion sets which I still have to sow. My allotment association shop use faulty scales so instead of buying 500 grams of sets I find myself with more like 600 grams to sow add this to the two rows of garlic and my plot will seem to be full of onions.

Barry, haha, perhaps we will see you on a bike selling onions in autumn! Lol. 

Simon the weird thing is that when I took on my allotment plot 2 1/2 years ago someone mentioned onions and I said that I didn't really have any interest in growing onions.

Barry, its funny how things work out hey?  The thing about onions is that they usually do give a reasonable crop and you can always use loads of onions in the kitchen, so they are good to grow for most gardeners.

I think I will be filming the Growing Onions part 2 video this weekend (or at least part of it) as the Kelsae's will probably need potting on.

Folks, here is my second video in the growing onions series, recorded today! I hope that you enjoy it!

http://youtu.be/0ywN1gxrxj8

As a 'twist' to growing Kelsae onions, I will be trying a few of them in very large pots.

That will be shown in part 3 of growing onions with Simon! (2 to 3 weeks away yet).