Greenhouse size?

2»

• Paul NPaul N Bearsted, KentPosts: 300

6x4 is defintely FAR TOO SMALL, I think mine is 8x6 and THAT is too small. The bigger the better. Really, secondhand greenhouses are almost given away.

• Norm2Norm2 Posts: 86
    Paul N wrote (see)

6x4 is defintely FAR TOO SMALL, I think mine is 8x6 and THAT is too small. The bigger the better. Really, secondhand greenhouses are almost given away.

So I gather which is why I opted for an 8 x 6, no need to shout image

• Shape, and construction, and position is very important. YOU will need the same space in it however wide it is. Assuming square or rectagonal, A 2 foot path for you, will leave more room for plants in an 8' wide than 6' wide. Similarly 4'6" high at the sides gives room for a bench and shaded room under for resting plants, and maybe a narrow shelf round near the eaves. Put the greenhouse on a 9" concrete block base wall and suddenly you have extra space and light at the sides. If the bench is supported by the greenhouse walls and not on separate legs, as on the old BACo professional range, then the floor underneath is all available. This assumes the greenhouse is in a position with light all round, placed near a fence and down goes your growing space again.

Get the biggest you can afford. 12' x 8' can be less than £100 on Ebay.

• Mine is only 8x6 i think - too small - not enough space for a larger one.  It's full of overwintering pots and pelargonium plants at the moment, plus a few flower seeds (ever hopeful), parsley, rocket, salad leaves.  I'll be planting a few pepper seeds soon in a propagator, then it's time to start the tomato seeds....   I don't use the garden soil as we are very sandy here.  I grow the tomatoes in bags of compost rather than grow bags as i got better results - turn the bag on its side to make a deeper bed and only 2 plants per bag. I read this advice in a GW several years ago & have taken it ever since.  One other thing, when we bought the GH we invested the extra for a self opening light, just on one side - a boon when we are on holiday.  Wish we had done the other side too!  This cost about £30 but that was 10years ago!