Forum home The potting shed

EXPANDING WATER GEL BEADS?

I have seen  some water beads, on  Amazon.

I wondered if I can use them with plants , for a decorative effect plus as watering  if they were placed on top of the plants ?  Or to surround the plant pot itself ? 

Would the plant absorbs water from them  I wonder ?

What do you think ?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,425

I've never used them as I'm unconvinced by their efficacy .

I'm sure others will be along with their views.

Devon.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

They are not toxic so I can't see they can do much harm, try them out Granma and let us know image

PS reading the post above you do mean the decorative 'magic water beads'  not the ones that come in some composts to supposedly retain water??

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

Apparently gemma they are decorative magic water beads, in different colours  to Put in vases .

They come in small minute pellets , put them into water they absorb it and expand.I will try some and let you know.

I thought that was what you meant. You can also get white beads or granules that go in your compost to retain water, I think that was what Hostafan was thinking of. image

Do let us know, I think the magic beads are fascinating.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907

You can grow some house plants directly in the magic color beads.. with no soil.  Think of those types that seem happy growing in water forever.. Ivy, spider plants, etc.  If you're putting it with soil, I think they would work better mixed into the pot and soil rather than just on top, as all that dampness at the soil level around the base of the plant may cause problems.  Plus every time you water the soil would likely rise up above the top of the beads.  

Utah, USA.

We bought some compost last year that had water retaining 'blobs' in it. It was more expensive than ordinary compost. We used it for herbs alongside the ordinary mix I make up. It still needed watering every night in the summer  and was just the same really, I didn't rate it much for the extra cost. image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,425

You're right Gemma. I was thinking of those beads which swell up. Sorry if i caused confusion. image

Devon.
  • hi everyone, my first post. Granma try this found it the other day.

http://diyzone.tips/he-pours-this-blue- ... -this.html