Forum home Plants

Feeding Spring Bulbs

JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Hi all,

My snowdrops are all in flower/dying down. My crocuses are just starting to open and my daffs are pushing through.

I've never fed spring bulbs before and not sure if I should or when to do it. Is good old miracle grow OK to use?

Many thanks in advance

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,201

Recommendation is to feed them once they have finished flowering with a half strength low nitrogen feed, something like Tomorite. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,530

I tend to scatter pelleted chicken manure all over my flower beds in mid March but I will also feed any bulbs I have in pots with tomato or rose food as these encourage flowers and the bulbs need to build up their flowering energy for next year.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • can anyone give me advise on hyacinth bulbs. I bought a house in december 2013 and had not a single hyacinth. to my surprise this month they seem to be charging forward. do they bloom every year? do i need to dig them up? do I just leave them and then cut back the green leaves once they get a bit scraggly?  thanks for the help.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 427
    It may depend where you live, I'm in the NE. I have hyacinths in my garden and the come every year. The flowers aren't like the flowers which you'd get from fresh bulbs, they are not as full ie not so many individual small flowers but I think that's better in a garden. When my bulbs of all sorts finish flowering I use half strength tomato fertiliser a few times. Leave the leaves until they yellow as they will feed the bulb to build up the flower for the following year.

Enjoy