Forum home Tools and techniques

Gathering seeds etc from the flowers in my garden

LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

I know im early in the year to be thinking of this but since im clueless i'd like to know how to get seeds etc from each of the flowers in my garden, and what is the best way to do this. And best way to store them so that they keep till they are ready to be planted

- Vinca 'Periwinkle' (can this be done by cutting or does it produce seeds?

- Geranium 'Purple Cranesbill'

-Fushia

-Dogrose bush

-Pyracantha Bush

-Clematis (Pink perfection)

- Red Robin

- purple anemones

- Roses

There will possibly be a couple more. But until i find out what they are i will leave them for now,

This is hopefully so i can start doing some of this seed swap thats on another thread,

Thanks

Lucy

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,541

I'm not sure Lucy but think all those on your list would need to be done via cuttings, I'm not sure they seed

As for taking cuttings I think all plants are actioned differently image

Maybe you will got more responses and help if you can split your list down x

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Sorry LucyL, but almost everything you mention is propagated by cuttings or splitting. The geranium will seed but again it's easier to split them.

Most of the things on the seed swap thread are left overs from bought seed.

• LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

Thanks guys, i wasn't sure on what would seed and what is best from cuttings, So i will have to sesrch on how to take cuttings of each, or how to split the geranium, I'm guessing you'd need to be more gentle than just chopping through it with a spade?

Yea i've seen that most people have left over packets of seeds, and some have collected seeds too, so I will have to also check what extras i have image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Lucy you can chop the geranium with a spade no problem, but they pull apart quite easily or use a sharp knife. You can split the vinca in a similar way. I think there is a section on splitting perennials in the how to section. I know there's advice on cuttings there as well.

• LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

Perfect thanks image