Forum home Plants

When to move snowdrops

Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,535

I have several little clumps of snow drops which I would like to move to different places in the garden.  Shall I wait till they die down or can I move now whilst in flower?

thanking you in advance for your advise image

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

It is said the  moving " in the green" is the most successful way to shift snowdrops. This usually means enjoying the flowers and when they wilt transplant

just dig them up, split the bulbs up depending on the size and replant where you want them. It's very straightforward and increases your stock.

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • I've recently dug up a congested clump of snowdrops that were halfway to flowering. I split and planted them where I wanted them and they are all now in full flower. I tried planting 'in the green' and none flowered the next year.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,939

I let mine die down, then dig up and replant the bulbs at once, spaced out more. The important thing is to not dig them up, let them dry out and then replant months later.

Snowdrops never recover from shrivelling up.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,032

I've just split & replanted several large inherited clumps that were almost in full flower. Absolutely fine, all flowering happily, but I did well water them in & it's continued raining since!

I've also in the past split & transplanted clumps just as flowers finishing & that worked too...

Either way it's fiddly & back aching job but well worth it, J.

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,535

Thank you all for the advise, if it ever stops raining I will try both ways ie move some now and wait with the others and see what works best image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

When is less important than how. Replant them and water them in, don't store them or allow them to dry out