Forum home Plants

Prunus autumnalis they were supposed to flower from November onwards.

I planted one last autumn in memory of my mother who had a lovely one. So far no foliage or flowers.  Is it dead or does it take a year or two to get going.  Actually I don't think it is dead but very very tiny buds. I thought they are supposed to flower from November onwards.

Any comments much appreciated.

Hopeless G

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881

It may well be concentrating on getting it's roots down in its first year so I think patience is needed.   They flower from Autumn onwards in mild spells - I used to have one outside my office window so I know that the amount and time that they flower varies from year to year, but they are an elegant and beautiful tree - one of my favourites - I bought one for my parents' garden many years ago image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Many thanks.  Mums was in Bedfordshire, mine is in Derbyshire so that will make a difference no doubt.  Certainly the snowdrops I bought up from there have taken some time to come up whilst all the established ones are well on?

It's a small world - my parents are from Bedfordshire and I was born there - on a farm near Flitwick which was a small village back then image

Bedfordshire is certainly milder than Derbyshire in my experience at least image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes it is - just!

imageimageimage