Aqualegia

I have aqualegia bulbs, can I pot them indoors to start them off? Very new at gardening, new house, garden, getting into gardening but not very clued up.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,668

Hi Christine image

Are you sure of what you've got?  Aquilegias don't grow from bulbs image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lol see what I mean, deary me, well its not a packet of seeds its in a bag, maybe they are rooted? 

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

They will be bare root plants. Do you have a cold frame as they will be best grown in a cool conditions. Either plant them where they are to grow or pot them up and put them in sheltered corner in your garden.

• What is a cold frame? I could put them in a pot them put them outside? We still have hard frost here, soil bricvk hard? Xxx

Its just an unheated clear box with lid. Basically a small unheated greenhouse. I would just pot them up and place them in a sheltered corner against a wall or something or wait a little while till the ground unfreezes and plant them directly as they dont like root disturbance.

I normally just grow them from seed. You can literally sprinkle them on the soil and they pop up. They often self seed themselves.

• Ok that's great, so glad I found this forum, am sure I'll have lots of more draft questions lol. Thank you xxxxx

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,251

http://gardenerstips.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/cold-frame.jpg

This is a coldframe.

Pot them up using potting compost, water them, and put the pots in a sheltered place, as Cairnsie said. They are hardy.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Oh yes I've seen them, could get one of them, thank you xxx

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,710

Welcome Christine, Bring on the daft questions, that's what we're here for. 

Devon.