Is this a 'smoke bush'?

So the new house we have just bought has a buddleia and another shrub, which I've been told is called a 'smoke bush'? Could anyone tell me if I'm right, and also what sort of care I should provide it with?

Yesterday I cut both bushes right back because they were taking up quite a lot of space in the garden and I don't think they've ever been pruned in their lives! 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Oh lovely!! Thank you. With regards to care, is there anything specifically I should do to ensure it looks its best? Before yesterday it was approximately 4 metres tall but i trimmed it all down to about 2 metres.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333

The info is there on the link I gave you.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

It's one of my favourites because of the lovely colour to contrast with all the other greens in the garden.  It regenerates quickly each year Charlotte and I often snip bits off mine during the year to keep it in shape.

• Oh fantastic, thank you all. I've never been that great with plants (the only houseplant I've managed to keep alive is my orchid and that's because I barely touch it!), so I was a bit overly careful about pruning the smoke bush too much. I shall go back and prune it a bit more nowimage