Lily of the Valley

Hi,  I have been trying to establish lily of the valley for some years now.

I have a few that come out every year, planted under a bush with sun/partial shade, however, I thought they spread?

Any tips on how to get these going stronger?  Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,231

I had at least three goes to get these going. Not even sure they are now. My childhood home had great patches of it. Spread like mad. 

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Ava, I have some in a pot and like Nutcutlet says , once established , it will spread like crazy. The first year I planted it nothing happened but I was advised to leave it until the following year . Glad I did because now it comes up every year and has grown into a nice clump.

They don't like rich soil and I have never fed mine or re-potted it but it comes up and flowers every year now. image

Maybe you could try doing this and transplant it once estabished ?

Good idea, I should have done that. You can supervise them better in pots

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

I tend to treat them like nasturtiums. They seem to thrive on poor soil. Just thinking about the amount of time they've been in that pot - must be about 4 years nowimage

Maybe I'll re-pot them in the Spring. Do agree though - they are hard to get going.

There are a number of invasive plants I've had trouble starting. Chinese lanterns and japanese anemones are 2 of them. Chines lanterns have invaded but I still lack a good clump of the anemone. 

Just did a search, love the colour on the back of the petals. That'll be one for the next season.

It's on the list.