Forum home Talkback

Horticulture Dissertation Help - Ladies Only!

Hello,
I'm wondering if you could please help me? I'm in the second year of a horticulture degree at Bicton College in East Devon and am sending out surveys as part of an independent research project. I am investigating gender equality in the horticulture industry and was wondering if you could please spend a few minutes filling in my survey?

I am looking specifically for women working in the horticulture industry, or studying a horticulture course.

The link to the student survey is:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z8JYB5D

I am also sending out a survey to employees, the link is as follows:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9RYQ3FD

I seem to be struggling to get responses and would really appreciate your help on the matter!

Thank you
Megan

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

Forgive me Megan, but surely you need to survey men and women , otherwise, how can you make any comparison of their experiences?

Just a thought.

Devon.
  • Megan4Megan4 Posts: 14
    Hello,

Thank you for your comment.

It is a fair question, however I'm having to keep my project as simple as possible - the deadline is May and I have a 6 month old baby girl who takes up most of my time!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

I can appreciate that, but I still think your survey will have little validity without balanced comparison between both men and women in horticulture, otherwise I think you'll end up having to work on a lot of supposition and guess work.

Your degree , your call. I wish you every success.

Devon.
  • You could ask my sister for her opinion - she's head gardener at the botanical gardens in Stavangar, Norway and has also worked at National Trust gardens here in the UK.  Email me privately for her contact details.

• JIMMMYJIMMMY Posts: 241

pairs are best!

I have a friend who does all the local shows,he does all the heavy work and most of the planting and looking after the growing and harvesting!

When it comes to the choosing the flowers and veggies for showing his better half does the choosing, preparing and staging to great effect as well.

AND she collects the rosettes!

Cheers!

• done

• Megan4Megan4 Posts: 14

Thank you!

• sand8sand8 Posts: 23

Done