Forum home Talkback

agapanthus

Can anybody please advise me the best way to overwinter my agapanthus.  At the moment they are in an unheated greenhouse but they are still green.  Is this okay?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Mine have gone brown but I shouldn't think it matters whether they're green or brown.

Also in unheated GH.

• Thanks for that I am a bit worried that if they are still green the goodness won't have gone into the bulb as it does with daffidils etc.

• Is yours the deciduous or evergreen type? I have two evergreen, one which I brought in which has stayed green and one which I left out that went down but has just started to grow new leaves.

my deciduous one ( bressingham blue) has been brutally split, I just hope it recovers. I literally chopped through it with a spade- slicing through bulbs.

• I have no idea but mine are white tinged with blue

• Are the leaves very thin and strappy or thicker with rounded tips? how tall were the flowers?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

evergreen types are, strangely, evergreen. Only the deciduous types go brown and "die back"

Deciduous types are generally hardier than the evergreen varieties. As a general rule, the thinner the foliage , the hardier. but it is a general rule, not set in stone.

I'm sure they'll be fine in there.

Charlie Bot, they should be ok, but don't expect too many flowers this season.

Devon.
  • I have a large africanus which is meant to be evergreen, but all the leaves were destroyed by frost. It's just starting to regrow, well one part of it is.

That's good to know hostafan, I was too hasty in dividing it really- should have just put it in a bigger pot! Even went back to the garden centre in the Cotswolds to get another but they weren't in stock yet.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,116

It sounds like they are fine. They are much tougher than people imagine and an unheated greenhouse is perfect. Last year the ones I kept like this flowered really early. I divide them when they outgrow the pots and they all survive, as do the pieces I cut off.