Forum home Talkback

Lawn mower, 55 and overs needed.

• amy165amy165 Posts: 13

A few older models spotted on Amazon the reviews aren't great though! So not worth the hassle. Also homebase has a flymo for £30.
    Thanks for your responses.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,837

I've done it too but I thought the options and range was rather limited.  Clearly haven't heard of the power of the grey pound or the desire for higher performance from one's time and tools.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Could you elaborate on this obelixx ? I have heard of the power of the grey pound but unfortunately I don't speciialize in marketing.

The grey pound is the spending power of middle aged and older people who, having kids off their hands and the mortgage paid up, have more spending power than younger people - assuming they own their own property and have more than a state pension to live on which is quite a lot of people.

They're going to want a lawn mower that is sturdy, does the job without fuss, will last a good while, is easy to maintain, has adequate power not to require huge muscle mass to push around and probably a mulching setting that means they don't have to keep emptying a grass collector.   They'll also want an easy scarifying option if they do take care of their lawns.

They'll probably have bought their houses in an era when gardens were bigger than postage stamps so lawns will be larger so I think your range of models is very restrictive and your upper price range is really very low.

If you're after inventing a new lawn mower you really do need to think about your target market and thus your marketing.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,632

Doneimage

Thank you for your response I value your feedback. This questionnaire is all about understanding the target market, what you want and don't want within a new lawn mower concept...

The ranges and prices were taken from market research undertaken by mintel last year and alsio local research based on what the market leaders (B&Q and Homebase) currently offer in stores within the area I live, specifically areas where the older generation tend to live. So the price ranges for example were taken from their range they currently sell. If you think that higher is more appropriate then that's fine but this is exactly why this questionnaire is taking place.

I suggest you have a look at the B&Q site yourself rather than relying on other people's market research which may have been based on other criteria than yours.   Lots of models over 150 quid on here - http://www.diy.com/departments/tools-equipment/garden-power-tools/lawnmowers/DIY585353.cat/category-27004=DIY585355?pageSize=12&categoryToFilter=DIY585355 

I think you are missing the point .The whole point of this survey is to gain research about the target market which is why I am asking your opinion there is no right or wrong answer if you believe over ??150 is a justifiable amount to spend on a lawn mower then reflect on this in your answers. Thanks

I have.   But you said you knew little about marketing so how have you arrived at a target market and how do you plan to sell to them?

I am just given a design brief of the age of target market etc marketing decide on that based on their research