Forum home Tools and techniques

Pond baskets in my borders?

I grow things like dahlias that I want to lift at then end of the season.  Similarly, I want to lift spring bulbs when they're done and replace them with something else for the Summer.  I had an idea - maybe I'll plant things in square pond baskets so that I can easily lift them out and swap in a pre-prepared pond-basket of something that's ready to go in. I watched a programme about Wisley - they do a similar thing in their alpine houses with clay pots set in a sand bed.  They swap in different pots as the season progresses. Has anyone ever tried using pond-baskets in a border?

• Hi image

Ive never used them myself, but i have seen it done, and it seemed very successful , cant remember if they used the same baskets or if it was a slightly tougher plastic image
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I have used some large plastic pots for my tulip bulbs sunk into the ground this year so that I can pull them out as soon as they are over and the leaves can die down out of sight.  Drainage may turn out to be a problem with this method so perhaps baskets may be better.

Give it a try and let us know how it goesimage

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

I'm sure I've seen shallow plastic trays, circular with lots of drainage, specially made for this job - planting bulbs. Have a look on the internet. I might even have seen it on a GW programme on telly. Let us know if you find them. image

• There definitely are bulb baskets, the pond baskets in my pond seem a bit fragile!

• Thanks all - I'll try and find stronger baskets and see how it goes.

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

I use the square pond baskets for tulips and they work brilliantly - never had a problem with them.  When they've finished just lift them out and let them dry off/out in a shady corner of the garden.  Later in the summer, I take them out of the pots, clean them up and leave them in the dry ready to replant in the baskets in the Autumn.  I've used the same baskets for a number of years.

• Monty  is using them for gladioli  in this month's magazine. I use pond baskets for some of my tender plants that go back in the green house for the winter

• I stand corrected. ????
  • Wah! Posting from my phone has turned my smiley face icon into four question marks!!! Sorry.

I stand corrected in a polite way as personal experience is far more sensible than my looking at them and wondering!

(That smiley was self built, not an emoji!)