Forum home Fruit & veg

Garlic

I've planted some corms of garlic in my garden. I put them in October of Last year. They have shown some really good growth especially the elephant garlic. However some of them have sprouted two shoots and I was wondering if this was normal? I'm a complete novice at gardening so I have no idea lol. Thanks

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,310

I hope it is normal, some of mine have three shoots image

• Does this mean it's producing two bulbs beneath the surface? image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    It usually means you have inadvertently planted a double clove, or even a treble one where you have three shoots. Leave them be; you can't do much about it now..
  • Oh dear :-/ will they still produce bulbs?
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Yes.
  • Garlic are so exiting image. I found that three cloves were growing green tips and planted them into a pot, which is now outside and the garlics seem to be happy. If at least one produces a bulb, then I'd use all of it for later planting. I think I may have planted them far too late/early in the year. But...it's an experiment for me image 

• Hi DippyDazza,

How did the double-garlic turn out?

I am concerned as I too had planted a few cloves, which have now all sprouted (thank God) but one of them has two shoots. I wasn't planning to disturb it but if it's going to be a 'dud', I'd rather sacrifice that one so that the other two in the tub have more nutrients available.

Thanks.