Forum home Fruit & veg

Chitting Tatties

Hello Everyone

I'm chitting potato's for the first time so what do they look like when they are ready to be planted???

Photo please if possible

Thanks

Baz

• I don't have any pictures but they should (in my mind anyway!) look a bit shrivelled on the potato itself with purple and cream ish looking sprouts poking out. 

I am sure someone will be along with a pic, but Google will help too image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Don't be too speedy to plant them out as the foliage can't take any frost. The best sprouts are short and stout, so keep the potatoes cool but in the light.
  • True, I saw the gritters heading out on the road tonight so they are expecting a frost as far south as north london!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,160

I agree with Fc and Wo. The spuds shouldn't look shrivelled yet but smaller one's may do shortly before planting out.

• Don't plant out in the ground until after St Paddy's day at the earliest, the seed spuds should have short stocky green shoots on them up to about an inch long if you have lots of shoots rub some off to leave two or three of the healthiest looking ones, if you get to planting time and the shoots haven't emerged don't worry just plant them anyhow. Don't forget spuds should be chitted in a cool, light position not in a cupboard in the dark, just make sure they don't get frosted or too warm and they will do fine. Good Luck.