Forum home Problem solving

Removing Pampas Grass.

• Over the spring and early summer the Pampas grass was fed some Roundup (several feedings required). The goal was to remove the 3-4 of these plants! Root mat removal  was an almost humorous effort. I used a Honda 110 Tiller on the first root ball with good success! Emboldened, i moved on to # 2!  The second was quite different. The tiller removed the 2" of stubble but at the root mat the tiller was jumping at least a foot up into the air, as it just bounced off the very solid matte of roots. I tried going outside the edge of the mat and backing in. "Sorry Son, I'm not going anywhere". Went to the trusty pick axe. first few swings bounced off the matte as well. Going into absolute full swing mode broke through at least some of the roots. Next step: Sharpen the pick axe and tackle it again. What a plant! I think going around the edges to undercut the monster may be a useful trick. Has anyone tried the root removal compounds, or epsom salts, which are said to decay roots?

Thanks

• jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 465
    In the process of removing one now.  Doing a little bit each day to try to let any hedgehogs or birds or whatever else migth be in there to get the hell out!  For those who have already removed them, did the bits of root in the ground result in growing back?  
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,044
    When our garden was landscaped the pampas grass quivered in dread in front of the digger. Note the two building inspectors checking out the new pond.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,533
    The 'building inspectors' are probably actually thinking "I'm not going to have to dig anywhere to go for a dump for quite a while"
    IanC63 said:

That was after I set fire to it ..twice.

Guess what's grown in its place???

Incidentally, rumour has it a Pampas used to be a sign the owner was a swinger :p<3:open_mouth:

One of my wife's colleagues was told to burn the stump out.  He thought he'd help it along by adding an accelerant, but the only stuff he had available was petrol for the mower.  He poured a good quantity on and lit it.  The petrol had got down into air pockets between clumps so rather than just burning it exploded and sent lumps of flaming pampas grass some distance into the air.  Fortunately no damage was done and the neighbours got a free firework display.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    :D:D:D:)
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    That is so funny @KT53
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
    Blimey, it sounds like something from that comedy with Victor Meldrew ! Our neighbour struggled to get his pampas grass out, after we watched him struggle for about an hour (and it wasn't a particularly large one), my husband took pity on him and let him his mattock. Job done! OH always says mattocks are a well kept secret. Boys and their toys, eh?🙄
    I agree it sounds like something from a comedy but I promise it actually happened.