Forum home Fruit & veg

Runner beans

Hi,

I've got some 320 runner bean seeds which I picked last year in the garden. Is there any preparation that I need to do with them before they can be planted back out in the garden this year? I'm planning to plant them in one of my raised beds. Here is a photo of them (sorry for bad quality): 

Thanks,

Ed.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,340

Nope, just stick 'em in about 2 inches deep.  Don't plant until after the last frosts though.  I usually plant runner seeds on or around May 1st depending on the weather.  If it's a late spring, then I start them off in small pots in the cold greenhouse.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LalatLalat Posts: 29

I agree with Bob!

• I usually have two wigwams of six canes each and plant two runner beans to each cane that gives me far too many beans to eat so this year I will cut that number down by half and possibly grow some Borlotti beans for storing dry.

• EdWEdW Posts: 11

Thanks guys image so I don't have to soak them in water overnight or anything?

• I usually do soak them but I'm not sure whether it's necessary.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

I don't soak mine - although I probably would if I'd kept them more than one season image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EdWEdW Posts: 11

I have so many seeds because I didn't have time to constantly pick them, and I didn't know you were supposed to snip off the growing tips when they reached the height of our wigwam so they just dangled everywhere so I missed some behind leaves and things, so the beans just set seed! And then loads set seed! So yeh, 320 something! Crazy. I'll be giving away a lot to neighbours etc. image