Garden edging

Has anyone used metal garden edging before? I think wood is quite popular for border edging but I've seen a few websites selling metal. What do people think?

http://gardenanddesign.co.uk/gardenedging.html

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,794

I'm really not keen on the look of it, and I still carry the scar from when I was weeding a garden I'd just 'moved to' and a piece of old metal lawn edging attacked me - and I'm talking 40+ years ago! 

I don't edge my borders and beds - how would I enlarge them to accomodate my increasing purchases? imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• No, I'm not sure either. Just wanted to know whether other people used any borders in their garden.

Thank you for the reply image

• I use a bamboo fence as I have an exotic look. I do think metal edging, esp the hidden ones, look very professional but they cost a lot. Very good for curving lawns.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,926

No, it doesn't go with my gardening styleimage too precise

• Iv usesed everedge it's pretty good
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,354

I've used the plastic edging from B&Q.  It does the job for me and it's pretty sturdy.  I used a piece of timber and a lump hammer to get it just below the level of the grass and it's virtually invisible.  I looked at the metal edging but the cost is very high as I need about 200 feet of the stuff.

• www.borderedging.co.uk is a good website for metal garden edging. - Not too expensive

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,186

I like my edges sharp and deep.  Not a fan of edging of any sort, but If you are not to good at keeping a neat edge then go for it.   It's your garden after all. image

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,850

I used Smartedge - it's plastic and invisible (and has stopped me digging up my grass to extend the borders - all good).

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller