Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Planting snowdrops 'in the green'

I had a small clump of Snowdrops, but over the last two years I have been lifting them in the green and it haas proved very successful. I now have three nice clumps and will be dividing them again this year .

Barrie Trigg

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,153

I split mine after the leaves have died down. The important bit is to replant at once. The bulbs do not like being dried out.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I bought snowdrops in the green online last year , which arrived still green. I planted them in a pot temporarily and then in to the garden. Today I have a few shoots only while my neighbours have lovely blooming clumps. I hope this is just a settling in problem..
  • Am I right in thinking that you are not allowed to dig up snowdrops from "woodlands and hedgerows"?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,229

Yes, it's illegal to dig up wild flowers. 

This may be helpful as it explains the legal bits http://www.thewildflowersociety.com/wfs_new_pages/1f_code_of_conduct.htm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi all

My Snowdrops are extremely small this year any ideas what is wrong, I haven't moved them or anything
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,195

I divided quite a few clumps last year and they've come up beautifully - some in places I'd forgotten I'd put them which was a very pleasant surprise. I also got carried away and ordered 100 more which planted last Tuesday so I really hope they come up next year.

• I lifted all my snowdrops, about two years ago. Then every year since, I've forgotten to replant them. Is it too late to replant them now? Sam Percy